IIT Milestone Preamble
• Institute for Industrial Technology (IIT) starts first programme for industrial workers in temporary site in Carnaud Metalbox (now Nampak) premises in Ogba Industrial Estate, Ikeja.
• Electromechanics programme for secondary school leavers (EMY) commences. • Public presentation of IIT.
• Graduation of the first set of workers’ programme participants. • The first set of EMY student trainees begin in-company training (internship).
• Development of the permanent site of IIT in Isheri-North Lagos begins
• First set of EMY student trainees graduate, all were employed before graduation. • In conjunction with Junior Achievement of Nigeria (JAN), a new entrepreneurial programme was initiated and students of EMY participated.
• IIT participated in the Lagos State Science and Technology Fair. • IIT won the most innovative school award of the Junior Achievement programme.
• IIT relocated to permanent site in Isheri-North. • IIT is registered as a Vocational Training Centre.
• IIT starts operating from its Isheri-North site.
• Mechatronics programme starts.
• Mr. Tunji Makun retires as the first Director- General of IIT. • Engr. Darlington Agholor is appointed Director of IIT.
• 10th year anniversary.
• Engr. Darlington Agholor leaves IIT. • Mr. Olumide Akinjo is appointed Director of IIT.
• In partnership with IECD, CFAO, Schneider Electric and Cummins, IIT designs Electrotechnics Curriculum.
• Electrotechnics programme for secondary school leavers (ETY) starts.
• Graduation of the first set of ETY student trainees.
• IIT receives Businessday Newspaper award for the most innovative in education. • Modular programmes begin.
• 20th year anniversary.
• Mr. Olumide Akinjo leaves IIT. • Mr. Uche Okwuchukwu is appointed Director of IIT.
Being a student of IIT is like a dream come true. Even though I am on a scholarship, I still find it hard to survive. But I go to school everyday filled with hope. It is part of the things you get when you are in IIT, Hope.John